Sunday, 23 March 2014

The Story Teller & New Sculpts

My Sundays tend to follow the same pattern, and it's a good one. Once up it's either chores like ironing (hate it), tidying up, bit's of cleaning, changing the bed etc., or we head out to a car boot sale to rummage for lovely vintage things for Hubby's shop and bits I can use for my doll. After that it's a bite to eat and maybe a walk in the woods before I start on my dolly work; taking photos, catching up on my e-mail and writing here for my blog. In the afternoons once everything is ready we all pile up on the sofa, under a blanket if it's cold, to cuddle kitties and watch a film while I sew. And I wouldn't change a thing :)

Today is no different, and now it's almost time to relax and cuddle (Meanna is already at my side leaning warmly against my leg while I type) I'm looking forward to getting back to work on my Storyteller :)

After a few weeks of not getting much done, or so it felt, this week has been amazing. I've designed a applique pattern for my Storyteller's gown and a quilt she can sit on based on the beautiful shapes found in my Mucha print. And got them transferred to paper pattern pieces, attached to fabric, and now mostly sewn. Once all the pieces are attached I'm going to add embroidery and beading to finish the designs and add richness and detail. And I'm thinking that I may need to add something more around her skirt hems to tie everything together.

 I've also sculpted a whole new batch of dolls, 8 medium and 8 small ones, and all are now drying with their arms and legs pinned to racks on top of my living room radiator. Unfortunately I ran out of clay before the small ones got their bodies, but I have a good selection of Medium ones for Caron to choose her Siouxsie Banshee from for me to dress :)
I think I may have even found someone who'll be able to write in Japanese on the white lawn fabric I have for Siouxsie's kimono to make it as close as possible to the original outfit which has made me really excited to see this doll come together.

I like to leave them to dry for around 4 to 5 days to make absolutely sure they are totally dry before I start to sand and smooth them ready for painting. So by the middle of this week coming I'll be spending my nights covered in clay dust and paint which I always love. It's just a shame it always takes so long :)

One other little thing I've started is a shawl for my Storyteller from fine burgundy red wool and a miniature hook, and it feels good to be crocheting again. Years ago I'd make myself winter wooly things and bits and pieces to decorate things I was making, but I had never joined it with my doll making by making it in miniature. It's taken some practise and will take a while more before I pick up my speed to what it is on bigger work, but after finding some beautiful thin wools at a local dollhouse shop I thought I'd give it a go.

I still have a long way to go on this doll but I'm really looking forward to seeing her finished. I hope you like how she's coming together too xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment