Sunday 6 July 2014

Pud - A Podgy Soft Rag Patchwork Doll

I've tried a few different things to try and use all the lovely little pieces of left over fabric I get from all of my sewing projects. But none of them ever seemed quite right.
I tried bags and purses, but they looked clunky and messy. Applique and quilting I enjoyed doing, but I kept finding myself going into my stash of larger pieces of fabric to get what I needed. And all that did was add to my scrap box, not lessen it. Things never seemed to satisfy me or work out as I wanted until I saw a large pretty doorstop in the window of a local gift shop.

The doorstop was a large fabric oval frog with big button eyes. And as I looked at it I thought wouldn't that look cute in patchwork. Bit of a light bulb thing I admit. Very cheesy indeed, but that's how things go sometimes, even in the real world.

I sewed two ball shapes from sheeting, one a little smaller than the other, and sewed them together. Then I tipped out my scrap box all over the floor and set to work hand-sewing lots of different patches all over my shape to make my first fat Podgy doll. After covering the face area with soft pink jersey and adding a little smiling mouth and big button eyes I was very pleased with my Pud. And after adding some embroidery and messy yellow tuft of hair he looked back at me and made me smile :)

Next I'm trying a Podgy with floppy bunny ears for my friend Becky, and then some smaller versions to see how they look smaller. And of course now that Georgiana is done and waiting for some good light so I can take her photos I can get back to the embroidery for Guinevere.
I hope you like my little Pud. He's listed in my shop right now and is available to come and make you smile too. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment