Monday 25 November 2013

It was a real surprise to me to find that I’d never made a Dorothy Gale doll before. I love the bright magical Technicolor dream film with the beautiful Judy Garland. It’s such a special film with so much joy and heart. I’ve watched it loads of times and never get tired of it. Such wonderful characters and beautiful backdrops. Scenery and costumes made with such care and attention to detail, I love everything about it.
 
The way it must have surprised its first viewers when it changed from Kansas in its drab black and white to Oz with all its vivid colors. It’s hard to imagine how wonderful that must have been then, as even now it’s so beautiful to see. No wonder it’s become such an icon. I can think of only a few other films that can compare to it, but only a very very few that bring with it the same imagination and feeling.

My Dorothy wears layers and layers of petticoats under her neat blue gingham dress, all trimmed with lace and ribbon. It’s a pinafore style dress with a white cotton shift beneath it so that she has a frill gathered neckline. In her arms she carries her Toto in her little basket, and on her feet are the prized ruby slippers.
To keep her company on her journey she has brought along her paper dolls that I made from scraps of fabric, paper and odd buttons, using a pattern I drew up myself and attached together with paper fasteners so that their limbs move. The Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, Scarecrow, and Wicked Witch of the West are there ready to help her tell her story J
 
Next I really need to get my bum in gear and get working on my Red Harrington, take more pics of my Woman in White so I can list her, also sew the rest of the bunting for a friends new baby room, finish off dolls for Christmas gifts, start a small bridesmaid, and work on Beth and Cerrid, as well as lots of other things.
Think I'm going to be a very busy girl :S lol :)

1 comment:

  1. Yes indeed, Christmas is busy! I love this doll and the care you've taken with her fabulous dress. Those paper dolls are a lovely addition, but it does mean I now see an Alice, with Hatter and Rabbit, or Red Ridinghood with a wolf and Grandma. As for the film, I know the slippers were changed from silver to red for the screen, but I didn't know that it was because Technicolor picks up red over any other shade. Apparently that's a feature in a lot of other early colour films.Totally useless information, I know. :) Oh! And Toto is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete