Monday 24 February 2014

Lucrezia Borgia and WIP

Little is known of Lucrezia Borgia apart from her infamous father and brother. She is described as very beautiful, but was she a part of her family’s conspiring and assassinations, the harlot daughter of a cruel Pope controlling her husbands as best suited the Papacy. Or was she herself controlled by her family, marrying who she was told to and finding comfort where she could.

She was known to have affairs, but was that her small attempt to have some control over her own life? Rumours of incest, murder and poisonings, as well as wild parties and even a hollow poison ring surround Lucrezia, but I’m not sure how many of them are true and what has been embroidered. She was after all only 11 years old when her father first betrothed her hoping to attract the influence of a powerful family.

My Lucrezia wears an embroidered shift under her embroidery ribbon trimmed petticoat (no knickers as they didn’t wear them then!).Under her sage green silk split front gown she has more petticoats in a soft cream fabric trimmed with heavy cotton lace. And her gown is trimmed with fine lace and amethyst and pearl beads. At her waist her chatelaine has her household key and a small flowered locket (maybe she has poison in there just in case). And she has a fine gold chain around her neck.

She weighs approx. 400g, and she is 55cm tall. And is available now in my Etsy shop - www.NatashaMorgan.etsy.com
 
This past week I've been taking some time to make a small cotton crochet blanket for the new addition to our home. I've been waiting patiently for my little pocket Werepup to arrive from America. The lovely Asia is a very talented lady, and when I have some good light I'll take some photos to share of little Maelgwn (Mai-l-goo-n - Welsh meaning Prince, Hound, and Wolf).
 
I've also been working on my next applique portrait of a girl sitting amongst sunflowers while I wait for more diamonte to arrive for my custom Katrina to scatter around her gown and make her shine.
Hopefully my fabric for The Storyteller will arrive soon too so I can get back to her. She's looking a bit cold in her undies :)

No comments:

Post a Comment